Tuesday, June 19, 2012

A Living Sacrifice


I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God. (Romans 12:1-2) The most prominent component of the Christian experience is the requirement of self-denial and the mortification of the members of our own flesh.  There are times when God will deny us things, for our own good, and we are take this with joy.  But, my charge, our charge as Christians, is to daily take up our cross and follow Christ.  To REALLY claim that we are Christ-like and to really bear his name, his mark and share in his glory, we must bear the cross he bore. Matthew 16:24  Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.  This mortification, or purging of our own deeds, is not just for the older, experienced saint, but for anyone, and everyone that would carry the name of a "Christ"ian, young and old alike.   2 Timothy 2:19-21 encourages us, Nevertheless the foundation of God standeth sure, having this seal, The Lord knoweth them that are his. And, let every one that nameth the name of Christ depart from iniquity. But in a great house there are not only vessels of gold and of silver, but also of wood and of earth; and some to honour, and some to dishonour. If a man therefore purge himself from these, he shall be a vessel unto honour, sanctified, and meet for the master's use, and prepared unto every good work.  Colossians 3:5 lays out some of the things and ways of the flesh, that must die, Mortify therefore your members which are upon the earth; fornication, uncleanness, inordinate affection, evil concupiscence, and covetousness, which is idolatry. It's not so much the "outward" sacrifices of worship that gains the attention and favor of God, but it is the part that "no one sees and no one knows".  It's seldom seen and seldom shown acts of sacrifice and labor, where we conform our mind and spirit to the image of Christ, that pleases God and makes us worthy to wear his name, and to be called a "Christ"ian. Philippians 3:7-10  But what things were gain to me, those I counted loss for Christ. Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ, And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith:That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death. Be blessed. - JAL

A Living Sacrifice
by Lucena C. Byrum

  1. I love the Christ, the Son of God,
    Who died that I might live;
    I would my gratitude express,
    A gift unto Him give.
    • Refrain:
      My gift is small, it is my all,
      Accept it, Lord, I pray;
      Let self be slain, let Jesus reign
      Within my heart alway.
  2. I fail to find a sacrifice,
    Or fitting gift to bring;
    Earth’s treasures have too little worth
    To offer to my King.
  3. No gift, however grand or great,
    Could pay the debt I owe;
    I bring myself, my life, my all,
    A living gift bestow.
  4. My members all I gladly yield
    For service, Lord, to Thee;
    To bear the blessed gospel light,
    That others Christ may see.

No comments:

Post a Comment